When children are taken on field trips other than walking trips in the immediate neighborhood, the teacher will send home information and a permission slip for the parent to complete. No child is taken off school grounds without a signed permission statement from a parent. All field trips are voluntary per Education Code 35330, which states in part, “All persons making the field trip shall be deemed to have waived all claims against the district or the State of California for injury, accident, illness, or death occurring during or by reason of the field trip.”
We recognize and appreciate the invaluable contribution made to our students by parent volunteers. If a parent volunteer brings a non-student sibling on a field trip, the parent may only transport and supervise his or her own children. Each adult with a group of students must be able to devote full attention to their assigned students.
When school buses are not used for a field trip, volunteer drivers must give evidence of the following required items:
- A completed and signed Field Trip Private Car Travel Form.
- Valid California Driver’s License.
- Proof of Insurance $300,000 Bodily Injury Per Occurrence, $100,000 Property Damage Per Occurrence. Beginning in January of 2010, a driver must provide a copy of his/her insurance declaration page which shows these levels of coverage. The small card you carry in your car only assures that you have the minimum insurance level required by the state of California and that level is different from the amounts listed above.
- Auto Safety Check (auto is current in its maintenance, according to manufacturer’s guidelines, and is in safe working condition).
- Seat belts for each passenger.
- Children who are 8 years old and younger and who are under 4 feet 9 inches tall must use a child safety seat.
- Driving record free of DUI’s or suspensions during the last three years.
Drivers must comply with all California Safety Laws.